Pushkar is a holy city in Rajastan, India famous for its Brahma temple, lake, ghats, and bazaar.
Pushkar is a holy town in the state of Rajasthan famous for the Pushkar lake, various ghats and temples spread all around the lake.
The word 'Pushkar' means lotus flower, which is said to be the seat of Brahma, one of the Hindu holy trinity, who is worshipped as the creator of this world. The legend has it that the demon Vajra Nabha killed Brahma's children, he in turn struck him with his weapon, a lotus flower. Vajra Nabha died with the impact, and the petals of the lotus fell at three places. One of them is Pushkar, where it gave birth to a lake. Brahma is supposed to have performed sacrifice at this lake on Kartik Purnima (the full moon day of the Kartik month (generally in the month of November)), hallowing the place.
Though Brahma is considered to be the creator of the world, Pushkar is the only temple of this important deity in the whole world. This is also considered as Adi Teerth or Teertharaj meaning ancient holy place or the most important of holy places respectively.
Pushkar is but a small town and hence has no airport. The nearest airport is in Jaipur.Jaipur is well connected to major Indian cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata by air.
Take a taxi or rickshaw from Ajmer. Frequent buses are available from Ajmer main bus station (rs 8/-)
From Delhi, regular trains are available till Ajmer. There are direct trains from Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Kolkata, Bhopal, Ernakulam and Bangalore to Ajmer.
- Bramha temple - One of the very few temples for Lord Bramha in the world.
- Rangji temple - This is a Vishnu temple built in south Indian style.
- Chamunda temple - This is one of the 51 Shakti peeths. It is also known as Manibandh.
- Panchkund Shiva temple - It is around 2-3 kms from the pushkar lake. The shiva temple is said to have been built by Pancha pandavas.
- Savitri temple - It is located on top of a hill near the lake. This temple is dedicated to the goddess savitri, wife of Hindu god Brahma. This temple is the second most religious temple in Pushkar.
- Pushkar Lake- Pushkar Lake is a beautiful, sanctified spot to visit in Pushkar. This lake is considered to be very old and of the time when the earth was created. This lake is a place of pilgrimage for the Hindus. Lake is surrounded by 52 different ghats to take bath, where Hindus and other tourists come to take a dip in the month of karthik.
- Pushkar Fair: Every year thousands of domestic and international tourists come to be a part of this amazing Pushkar Fair. This fair is organized in between October-November. Tourists come to take a holy dip in the pushkar lake at the time of karthik purnima, which is basically a full moon day. Pushkar fair is also famous as colourful and huge cattle fair. Pushkar is well known for it’s camel safari and other adventures activities.