CUSTOMER SUPPORT
+ 91-11-48 444 444

Home » Destinations » Ponda

overview

Ponda, also known as Fonda, is a city and a municipal council in the North Goa district of Goa, India. Located in the central area of Goa, Ponda lies 29 kilometres (18 mi) southeast of Panaji, the capital of Goa. The industrial center of the state, Ponda is home to many large factories and industrial estates, and is Goa\'s fastest-growing city.
Ponda formed part of the Novas Conquistas (New Conquests) of Portuguese India. It was ruled by the Sonde Rajas under the Vijayanagara Empire and the Bijapur Sultanate. In the 16th century, due to the absence of the Portuguese, Ponda was a safe haven for Hindus fleeing persecution by Jesuits and the Portuguese. In 1675, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj seized Ponda from the Bijapur Sultanate. It remained part of the Maratha Empire until 1764. Under Shivaju, Saundekar Raja was the vassal of Ponda.
The forests of Ponda were ideal places for Hindus to form makeshift temples with the idols they had salvaged from the broken temples of Sashti. These makeshift temples were slowly renovated as the Hindus gained prosperity. Now, most of the major Hindu temples in Goa are found in Ponda.
The Portuguese eventually took over the area in 1791 from the Raja of Sonda, along with Quepem, Canacona and Sanguem. It began as an administrative center with the establishment of administrative offices and court, and soon became a commercial center. Most of the area known as Ponda today was a part of Kavale village. The religious zeal of the Portuguese had ebbed by the 18th century, and Portugal itself had seen many political and religious changes due to the prevailing inquisition, so Ponda continued to have a Hindu majority even during Portuguese rule. Ponda was known as Antruz during Portuguese rule.

Location Map